Indianapolis (AP) – Indiana AFL-CIO criticizes Governor Eric Holcomb’s decision. Withdrawing the state from the federal program During the COVID-19 pandemic, the unemployed were offered an additional weekly payment of $ 300 to increase their unemployment benefit.
Unions said the state would cost nothing Stay in the programThey claim to have provided millions of dollars a week to families who may soon face a lack of income.
Holcomb announced last week that Indiana would bring these federal programs into effect on June 19. Many companies blame It is difficult to fill a job with an extra payment of $ 300 per week and a program that provides unemployment assistance to the self-employed, on-demand workers and those who have been unemployed for more than six months.
“We’re trying to force the Hoosiers into low-paying jobs,” said Brett Voorhees, president of the AFL-CIO in Indiana.
“If he really wants Hoosiers to return to work, he has parents who keep their children affordable, more Hoosiers are fully vaccinated and the jobs available are good, paying a living wage and doing good.” profits. We have to focus on the fact that it is the union’s work that we provide, ”said Voorhies. “Choosing to eliminate financial assistance to the Hoosier family is cruel and unnecessary.”
According to the State Department’s Department of Labor Development, payments of $ 300 are more than double the average weekly unemployment payments of $ 280 in Indiana, up to $ 390 per week. The change, which takes effect on June 19, could reduce or reduce unemployment benefit for more than 220,000 people in the state.
Indiana Union Calls Governor’s Unemployment Decision ‘Cruel’ – WOWO 1190 AM
Source link Indiana Union Calls Governor’s Unemployment Decision ‘Cruel’ – WOWO 1190 AM