New



Vertua ecological cement –

Cemex / Trinidad Cement Ltd (TCL group) officially launched its new Vertua Eco Cement on Thursday during a virtual presentation.

TCL chief executive Guillermo Rojo said the company prioritizes the environmental sustainability of its products.

“We are investigating in Trinidad and Tobago with local workers, contributions that are beneficial in reducing carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

“Vertua net-zero CO2 concrete is made possible thanks to an innovative solution created by our research and development (R&D) center. The end result is an advanced material that reduces the carbon footprint by up to 70%. The remaining 30% of the footprint is neutralized through offsite efforts. “

“We want to be an agent of change to limit global warming to less than 1.5 degrees Celsius and ensure that the UN Sustainable Development Goals are met.”

He said net zero CO2 concrete, Vertua, is already available in markets around the world and his company hopes to promote it in Trinidad and Tobago as well.

“We are focused on building a better future with concrete, an indispensable building element. In fact, it is the second most consumed material on the planet (after water) in part because it is cost effective, versatile and generally made from local materials. “

Responding to a question from Newsday about whether Vertua offers the same value for money as traditional concrete products, Rojo said the new brand performed better than what was considered normal for existing alternatives, but was being sold at a lower price to promote better sales.

Vertua Classic for general use is the first to join the Vertua range, which offers a 15 to 25% reduction in CO2 emissions compared to conventional cements, while preserving its technical properties and maintaining the same Cemex quality standards.

After the launch, Trade and Industry Minister Paula Gopee-Scoon applauded the local cement manufacturer’s decision.

In a statement released Friday, Gopee-Scoon said: “Cement accounts for about 7% of global carbon emissions; as such, the ministry applauds this strategic initiative from TCL which underlines the company’s commitment to do its part in the fight against climate change. “

She said this achievement dovetails well with TT’s climate change mitigation agenda, in line with key principles of the Paris Agreement.

“The government ratified the Paris Agreement on climate change in February 2018 with a national objective of facilitating the reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the electricity, transport and electricity sectors. industry by 15% by 2030, equivalent to a reduction of 103%. million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (mtCO2e). “

The minister then encouraged manufacturers to use the incentives and subsidies made available by the government for research and development.

ExporTT provides a research and development facility that offers up to $ 1 million to stimulate and support investments in new and advanced technologies and innovation for companies in the manufacturing and non-energy service sectors.

This year’s budget also announced the investment allocation for research and development, which covers up to 40% of spending on R&D. The measure will come into force in January 2022.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.